Wednesday, January 19, 2011

GRAND HEALTH: I Survived Prostate Cancer, The Edward Brabham, Jr Story

By Edward Brabham, Jr

On September 10, 2001, around 9:00 AM, I received a call from my doctor; as a 37 years old African-American male in great physical shape; I heard the four words I never thought I would hear “You Have Prostate Cancer”.

Since 1984, I routinely took a yearly physical around my birthday (June) and I was always diagnosed with a clean bill of health. When I took my physical in June 2001, I assumed the results would be the same as my previous physicals. Since this was the first time I was meeting this doctor he asked a lot of questions about my family health. One particular question resulted in me telling him that cancer is prevalent in my family and I had recently lost my grandmother and young nephew to cancer.

As we continued the physical, the doctor checked my prostate. He believed my prostate was enlarged and requested additional blood work, specifically a PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) test. After the physical, I was given antibiotics in the event the enlarged prostate was due to an infection. On September 10, 2001, my doctor confirmed my worst fear, at the young age of 37, I had Prostate Cancer.  Based on our conversation on various options, I chose radical prostatectomy and nerve sparing surgery. On November 5, 2001, I had successful surgery. Today I’m healthy and doing well. I want to advise other males, under age 40, to get tested for prostate cancer.

Statistics show that Prostate Cancer is the most common cancer in American men; with it accounting for about 10% of cancer-related deaths in men.  Prostate cancer is the most common non-skin malignancy in men and is responsible for more deaths than any other cancer, except for lung cancer. However, microscopic evidence of prostate cancer is found at autopsy in many if not most men. The American Cancer Society (ACS) estimated that about 218,890 new cases of prostate cancer were diagnosed in the United States during 2007.  About 1:6 men, will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime, but only 1:34 will die of it. A little over 1.8 million men in the United States are survivors.

Prognosis & Treatment
Treatment options and prognosis depends on the stage of the cancer, the Gleason score, and the patient’s age and general health. With greater public awareness, early detection is on the rise and mortality rates are declining. Additionally, new advances in medical technology are enabling cancer patients to return to active and productive lives after their treatment.

Possible signs of prostate cancer include a weak flow of urine or frequent urination.
These and other symptoms may be caused by prostate cancer. Other conditions may cause the same symptoms. A doctor should be consulted if any of the following problems occur:
·         Weak or interrupted flow of urine.
·         Frequent urination (especially at night).
·         Trouble urinating.
·         Pain or burning during urination.
·         Blood in the urine or semen.
·         A pain in the back, hips, or pelvis that doesn't go away.
·         Painful ejaculation.


Questions I am frequently asked:

What was your lifestyle like before you were diagnosed with cancer? (Were you healthy, did you exercise?  
Before I was diagnosed with cancer I was very active in sports. I played racquetball, and played on a company base softball and basketball league.

What was your original reaction to the news?
I was shocked, cried, emotional, didn't believe it! I remember calling my mom for comfort and calmly she said "you will be ok". I felt better but I still couldn’t believe it. Ironically I was told I had cancer on September 10, 2001. The next day was September 11th, so having cancer didn't seem as major because I felt pain for those individuals who died that day without a chance to survive.

How did it affect your personal and professional life?
Personally, after discussing the options with my doctor I made the decision to have my prostate removed. With my choice I knew I would not be able to have any children. Since I already had a daughter, it made my decision easier.

I knew after the surgery there was a chance that I would not be able to be intimate, if I didn't heal completely. For a minute, I was like "OH NO" but in reality I rather be living then worrying about intimacy. Fortunate for me my doctor did a great job during my surgery and I was completely healed and functioning with in 18 months of the surgery. During that time I focused on healing and not a relationship.

Professionally, I was working for a great company. I was in a senior management role and I recalled telling my staff that I had cancer. They were in disbelief and some of the woman started to cry which made me emotional. I remember telling them I will be ok and I will be back in a few months.

Were you angry, scared?
Angry - initially yes. Why me? But grateful it was diagnosed in time.
Scared, yes, because my grandmother had died the year before from cancer and I lost my young nephew to cancer a few years before.

What was your breaking point, anything that happened that made you view your condition in a positive way?
I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer on September 10, 2001. The next day was September 11th - I remember watching TV and realize I have a chance to beat Cancer in order to do so I must remain positive. Those individuals who died on from the 911 incident didn't have a chance.

Did you enter remission? How did that feel?
For the first 5 years after the surgery I went to my doctor every 6 months to take a PSA test and ensure the cancer was GONE…..It 10 years later and no sign of cancer.

What have you learned from this experience?
I became very humble and grateful to be here.  I don't sweat the small stuff and have gotten closer to my family. Work is still important to me but family comes first and I now I work on staying stress free 

What do you hope others especially black males, will learn from this?
Prostate cancer accounts for about 10% of cancer-related deaths in men (mostly black males).  I had cancer at such a young age (37) - The media shows that patients diagnosed with Prostate Cancer are much older.  Males and especially black males should be tested earlier than the recommended age of 40. If I have waited till 40 to get tested I would not be here to tell you my story.

What are your plans for the future?
I would like to educate young males, nationwide (via radio, talk shows, etc), about the importance of taking yearly physicals. If detected early more men would survive not only from Prostate Cancer but potentially from other diagnoses.