Monday, August 1, 2011

D.B. Woodside: His Role As Malcolm and Making LisaRaye His Woman!


D.B. Woodside plays the undeniably sexy and confident Malcolm Franks, the love interest of Keisha (LisaRaye McCoy) on VH1's 'Single Ladies'. When asked about the chemistry with LisaRaye, DB said “The chemistry is just off the chain, literally it’s off the chain! If we were not working together, I would ask that woman to be my woman. She is unbelievable!” 

In addition, to his role of Malcolm, D.B. is currently working on writing and creating his an independent feature film.

GLD:  Malcolm has changed from being a player to becoming more serious with Keisha. Is he really serious or is it another game he is playing?
DBW: That’s an interesting question. I actually don’t feel like Malcolm ever plays games. I actually think he throws a lot of tests at people and he feels like those tests are ways to figure out who’s going to keep it real in his life and who’s not. He is most definitely head over heels in love with Keisha. But you know this is a television series and we have to throw some drama up in there. So I feel sorry for the fans who feel Malcolm and Keisha are going to have a drama free relationship because we all know that ain’t true!

GLD:  Now that we are talking about Keisha, what is the chemistry like working with LisaRaye?
DBW:  The chemistry is just off the chain; literally it’s off the chain! If we were not working together, I would ask that woman to be my woman! She is unbelievable. She has a great sense of humor and one of the wittiest and most positive people I have ever met in my life. When working on a show there are many long days and nights and there are times people get tired; and I must say we were always there for each other to pick each other up when the other was down. It was really sweet.

GLD:  How does it feel to work with an all ladies leading cast?
DBW:  It’s been educational (laughs) and never, ever boring. There is something nice about going to work everyday and knowing you are going to be seeing four beautiful, intelligent, strong-willed women.

GLD:  How do you relate to Malcolm’s character?
DBW:  It’s a lot about Malcolm that I like. Is he the kind of guy that D.B. would want to sit down and break bread with – probably not. But I do understand him, it is obvious to me that he is someone who has been hurt by women repeatedly in his life and now decided to protect himself, by keeping women at a distance. Most women who are going to step to Malcolm are going to step to him for the wrong reasons. They are going to step to him because of his money or maybe because of the power he has; and then what he can do for them.  I am sure he has dealt with a lot of that. Malcolm, is a very, very complex individual. I hope women take the time to understand where the brother is coming from.

GLD:  What made you become an actor?
DBW:  I would love to give you some really deep philosophical and or surgical answer but to be honest the first reason I got into acting is because I am a musician. When I went to college the music and theater departments were housed in the same building. Every time I would go to classes like music composition, I would see all of the fine, beautiful women walking over to the acting side. And I was like, man I’ve got to get up with those people over there, I’ve got to get up with that. And that is actually how I got into it, luckily I just fell in love with it.

GLD:  You are a musician, do you play an instrument?
DBW:  I actually play a little piano, a little guitar and I sing a little bit.

GLD:  Are you in a band or working on other projects?
DBW:  I use to when I was younger and then I just got caught up with acting. It [acting] takes away from the much needed time from composing anything musically. I still write because writing is something I’ve always done. I’ve written and directed two short films. I am actually working on an independent feature film, right now, that I would love to direct. So I have my feet in other areas of the entertainment business that I am hoping will really rock ‘em.

GLD:  What does living grand mean to you?
DBW:  Living grand means to me, living right. Whatever way you define your “right” to be. For me living grand means I am always working to constantly keep my life simple. So hanging out with the friends that knew me when I was a knucklehead and my family, who is always going to make sure that I am keeping it real. Making my daughter a priority in my life so that it’s not about me, it’s about her. That allows me to live my life in a real simple way and for me that is living my life grand.

Follow D.B. on twitter @TheReal_DB

Listen to Kia interview D.B.

'Single Ladies' season one finale airs Monday, August 8 9ET/PT.



No comments: