Monday, August 1, 2011

Anthony Montgomery: On Acting, His Love for Hip Hop and More

Anthony Montgomery plays Darryl the once doting now scorned husband of April (Charity Shea). April was found cheating and now Darryl is simply not having it! Darryl’s character has been absent in the last couple of episodes but rest assured he will be returning in the season finale on Monday, August 8, 2011.

Anthony is much more than an actor, he is a musician and a writer. In 2008, Anthony released a hip hop album in Germany titled, ‘A.T.’ Tonight, Monday, August 1, 2011, on 'Single Ladies', his new single, ‘Stimulation’, will be debuting on the show and available on iTunes immediately after the airing. According to Anthony, Stimulation is a very sexy, club banger for the ladies.


GLD:  We’ve seen Darryl evolve from a laid back, loving and protective husband to a sort of scorned lover. We haven’t seen him in the last couple of episodes; can we expect to see him in the last two episodes of the season?
AM:  Yes, he will make a return in the season finale. When Darryl does come back, he is a scorned husband, a scorned man. As you saw in the pilot, he plays a doting husband, working to make sure his marriage worked. He hurt very deeply. To me it definitely was a lot of fun because I don’t usually get to play the likable a-hole. The Darryl you saw in the pilot is more of the characters I’ve been playing for my entire career: the nice guy, the best friend, and the boyfriend. They’ve [fans] never seen me as a jerk. My agent told me when I gave her [April] the birthday present that seen was so cold, it completely redefined my career.

GLD:  Yes, I agree. For me, it showed a real and honest side of men in general. Men are normally known for being hard, players and women are normally the “scorned” ones. It was a really honest and pure side to life.
AM:  Women across the country have grown to love and hate me, they love to hate me. Most women say to me, “I know she cheated, but”. Every time I hear “but”, I’m like woo. When a guy cheats what do you all [women] do? You stand together as a nation and say “leave him girl, take every thang he got, once a dog always a dog you know he’s a cheater“.

GLD:  Women will do all of what you said but they still tend to go back. A man is more ego, the thought process is more “you hurt me, it’s over and get outta here, you will never to do that again!” I think those women are coming from the female perspective and not understanding the male perspective. That is one of the fundamental differences between a man and a woman, not that we feel any differently but how we behave and how our behaviors come about.
AM:  For sure, I give you that one. So to just answer your question, it has been interesting, the process to bring Darryl to life in the way that I have. Stacy Littlejohn and I had spoke about that in the pilot because being a nice guy in my actual life, once I read the script I realized that she does not have me just speaking for the scorned husband on the show but for every nice guy that has been wronged out there. That’s the reality. There are a lot of nice guys who get crapped on by women all the time and they never say anything. They go somewhere and sit quietly, kiss their wounds and try to heal themselves. But Darryl took a much more proactive approach. So for me it’s a lot of fun. Without, giving anything away, Darryl will return and you will love his triumphant return.

GLD:  Should we expect to see Darryl in Season 2?
AM: Thank you to you, all of your readers and everyone who helped to make that possible. Thank you, thank you. In truth, I don’t know what is going to happen. The show is about the ladies obviously, it’s their show and I am now one of the men of 'Single Ladies' and I just happen to have a prominent part in that group. I am not just a boyfriend that runs in and out. I know that it’s TV and that’s the beauty of it. Having been on a show like Star Trek where my character can be completely dead and then they say, well the person fell through a water and that person is actually alive now. Although this is not a sci-fi show, they can write Darryl back in. And that really will depend on the fans. If the fans out there realize they haven’t seen Darryl and want to see him, that will force the network to either write him in as a season regular, which is very easy to do since he and April are husband and wife; or if they want to see more of my work then that will force VH1 to give me my own series.

GLD: Talking about your work, I’ve learned that you are a singer and a hip hop artist. You released your first album, A.T. under a German label. Tell me about that.
AM: That was a really fun experience. When was I on Enterprise [Star Trek] I would go down to Orlando, to visit my good friend Dakari; just to get away from the rat race of L.A. He is a music producer, so when ever I would get into the car, he would always have a CD of instrumentals - just a bunch of different beats. When I would get into the car it would always be a free style session. And I am not good at freestyles I have to actually write down my thoughts because I am not one of those who can do that. The people who can do it, Eminem, Jay Z, Talib Kweli, those who can just come off the top with these prolific statements is astounding to me. Honestly, it’s absolutely amazing to me but I can’t do it. I have to take my time and write down my thoughts so they will make since. Well I did that while I was on the show [Star Trek: Enterprise] and I told Dakari I wanted to do an album. I want to reach the masses like Nelly but in my own way I want to challenge you to think a little bit. One of the coldest lines Jay Z ever said was ‘I would rather be rapping like Common Sense but I made five mil and I ain’t been rapping like Common since’. When I dropped my album over in Germany, I put more than $50K of my own money behind it. I learned that I did not have to spend what I did to come up with the album that I did - it was trial and error. Had I not learned that, I would not be in the amazing position that I’m in right now. Being on a hit show [Single Ladies], one of the top shows in the country, I met a music supervisor for the show, Tic. Tic heard a song that I was working on with my cousin and a music producer Darryl “Treeg” Turner out of Chicago. Treeg gave me a beat and told me to see what I wanted to do with it. I wrote a song to it. Right before I went to Atlanta to film the first season of 'Single Ladies', we went in to the studio and recorded it. I liked it but I knew it could be hotter so I took it with me to Atlanta, to see how I could spice it up. While I was down there [Atlanta], Tic heard the first verse, and said and love it. He said he was looking for songs for the show and wanted it. The track is called ‘Stimulation’ and is debuting on the show Monday, August 1, 2011. Immediately after hearing it on the show, fans can go to iTunes and download it. The video is already done. ‘Stimulation’ is a sexy, club banger for the ladies.

GLD: You said you did the video? When will the video be released?
AM: We just finished the video. And everything will go live on Monday, August 1, 2011. I am working with VH1 to air it on the cover of VH1.com. It is hot! Everything that I am doing is because my first love is in front of the camera. So to me, this is just another extension of that.  The music experience in Germany was very interesting and it helped me to learn a lot about myself, to understand what I can and can not do. Not only can I do music but I am actually good at it. At the end of the day people love good music and that is what I make.

GLD: Are you working on any other projects?
AM:  I created a graphic novel called Miles Away that is coming out November/December of this year. For the fans who may not know, a graphic novel is just a glorified comic book. Miles Away tells the story of 60 year old, black super hero, Maxwell Miles. He is going to travel the universe and meet all types of beings with phenomenal abilities. I did something for my core Star Trek fans out there. I created the “black” Harry Potter.

I want to keep giving the fans good, positive products that they can’t get enough of! Whether it’s me in front of the camera, doing music or creating my graphic novel. I am in talks with VH1 to do my own series, we are in the preliminary stages.

Follow Anthony on Twitter @AMontgomery5

'Single Ladies' season one finale airs Monday, August 8 9ET/PT.


No comments: