Monday, March 28, 2011

The Showcase: VIC PO

BY CASH
Today, Grand Life Daily is introducing rapper Vic Po.  Vic Po was discovered by Wu Tang’s Shyheim for his original sound.  Born in Brooklyn and now residing in Long Island, Vic Po has spent the last two and a half years making a name for himself to the underground hip-hop community.  He has been getting more recognition for his art and unique style.  Parish, of EPMD, saw Vic Po perform at Dublin’s night club, came on the mic and said “this man has star potential”. 

Vic Po has distributed his own mixtape ‘Put me on your iPod’ hosted by DJ Don Demarco and has numerous features, which can all be heard on datpiff.com.  What has really gotten him a lot of his recognition, is his feature on the world distributed DVD “Hood Affairs Vol. 11”, Superstar Edition. The DVD featured artist such as Nicki Minaj, Gucci Mane, 50 Cent, Juelz Santana, Snoop Dogg and many more.  This was his first big break, being the only unsigned artist on the DVD with a full segment.  Vic Po is a UMA (Under Ground Music Awards) nominee, for artist to watch.  This was a towering accomplishment because some of the alumni winners are Nicki Minaj, Maino, and Kay Slay.  With all of these accomplishments Vic Po is continues to work hard at his upcoming mixtape DRENCH MAN which is set to be released this May on iTunes. 


CASH:  How did you get the name Vic Po?
VIC PO:  I actually gave it to myself, originating from my name Victor and adding Po which reflects a young dude that is focused and motivated.


CASH:  Where is DRENCH originated from, and what exactly does it mean?
VIC PO:  There seems to be a lot of lingo out these days that pertain to water, like wavy and splashy, so I decided to join the movement but also remain original.  Drench is a word for swag, good things that you may do, it’s a rare form [laughs].  


CASH:  Do you write your own music?
VIC PO:  Absolutely, I also hope and plan to write for others.


CASH:  What is your motivation?
VIC PO:  My daughter, because I don’t see myself not making it now that she is here.  I have to see her comfortable.  She has impacted my outlook more on the business side of things.  There is no time to waste.


CASH:  Why do you want to record/release your own music?
VIC PO:  Not to sound self absorbed but I like to hear myself, just to hear the progression that I continue to make pushes me to make more music.  I also feel as if I have a message to share with everybody and music is the perfect way to get it out.


CASH:  What are your long term career goals?
VIC PO:  I know these are big shoes to fill but I want to be Michael Jackson BIG.  I want it all movies, record label, clothing line etc.


CASH:  What is your favorite thing to do when you aren’t writing or in the studio?
VIC PO:   Being with my daughter, I love to spend all of my spare time with her.


CASH:  Who are your musical influences?
VIC PO:  Jay-Z and Stack Bundles.


CASH:  What kind of music do you listen to today?
VIC PO:  I try to stay focused so I pretty much only listen to myself and work on perfecting my craft.


CASH:  Where is the one place that you would most like to perform?
VIC PO:  MSG (Madison Square Garden) of course, sold out!


CASH:  Who would you most like to open for at a concert?
VIC PO:  Jay-Z, without a doubt.


CASH:  If you could dabble in any other genre of music, what would it be?
VIC PO:  Hands down, R&B  I love R&B.


CASH:  What kind of person is your fan?
VIC PO:  A young person, also someone that is familiar with struggle, people that grind and hustle to get what they want, educated, open minded and conscience of what you are hearing.


CASH:  How would you describe your music to others?
VIC PO:  Original, heart-felt, DRENCHY!


CASH:  What image would you say your music portrays?
VIC PO:  Businessman, young black and living life, doing what I want to do and making my own rules, making my dreams come true.


CASH:  What do you think your listeners get out of your music?
VIC PO:  Motivation, honesty and swag.


CASH:  What is the most difficult situation that you’ve had to deal with?
VIC PO:  I will have to say that Timbaland said it best, “closest friends get estranged when your status change”.


CASH:  How do you balance a relationship?
VIC PO:  Being a musician, you can’t get all the time you want and I will have to admit that it is very hard to separate the two.  It’s all about sacrificing your time. You definitely need a real woman that understands the game, shout out to all the females who do understand.  You must have your priorities in order.


S/O to GLD, Long Island, New York, Drench Money Records, Bottom Up Family, M.U.P., Pills, R.I.P. Smoove and all the real dudes and to the World.