Monday, October 31, 2011

Michael Michele: Aspires To Be A Designer

Actress Michael Michele currently appears on "Gossip Girl" as Serena's movie producer boss, but when she's not acting she's thinking about her first love - design.

The 45-year-old says it was actually her dream to design when she was young and still living in Indiana.

"Before I ever left Indiana I took design classes at the University and I didn't have the gift to draw and I thought 'Oh if I'm not a good illustrator how can I draw the dress?' And you know I was discouraged by a few people and like so many people you know sometimes when you're very young and impressionable if someone says 'you don't have the goods to do it' you kind of give up the dream."

Michele's acting career flourished with TV shows like "ER" where she channeled her love of fashion into styling herself for red carpet events. On occasion she would even help her co-stars pull together their own outfits.

It wasn't until the 2007 writer's strike that she decided to really look into giving it another go.
M. Michele Designs by Michael Michele
Dark Strtch Denim Trouser with Sequin Tuxedo Stripe.
Rayon/Spandex Sequin Mandarin

"I started doing it during the writer's strike. I said, 'you know this is a time for me. I've got some time. Production is down. And I can actually go and pursue what I really wanted to do in the beginning. It was never acting, it was always fashion. Someone said I couldn't sketch well and my dream died and I began to pursue being in front of the camera, but my first love was always design."

Michele says her goal is to design for every woman and every body shape.

"Originally when I started it was kind of up to a 16 and I designed something really beautiful for my mom who is a 16 and people really gravitated to that, so I'm going to do it from you know from 2's, 4's, all the way up to 3x and the challenge has been, how can I really create something beautiful for all women? That's really what really inspires me. I mean there's not a lot to do if you're just trying to dress people like myself there's really no challenge in that. Do you know what I'm saying? I don't mean that in an ostentatious way, but creatively for me to be able to speak to all women is what really inspires me, so I'm very excited about that now."

Her first collection is up on her website michaelmicheledesigns.com where she's looking to get feedback and generate buzz. Soon she plans to actually begin selling her clothing.

SOURCE: Associated Press